Bertrand on Top of the World
2016 Etchells World Championship
Hosted by the Royal London Yacht Club
(11th September, Cowes UK) The overall winner of the 2016 Etchells World Championship is John Bertrand (AUS), representing the Royal Brighton Yacht Club, with a crew of Paul Blowers (GBR) and Ben Lamb (AUS).
“It's been a roller coaster ride.” said Bertrand winning his second Etchells Worlds at 69 years of age. “This is a team that was only put together for the worlds and it is so nice to gel together and get better and better. Tom Slingsby was on the bow when I won in 2010, this year, we have Ben Lamb, who grew up with Tom, and he has been incredible this week. Paul (Blowers) knows these waters so well. Winning the worlds is fantastic because of the people who compete, there are sailors from all over the world and from every aspect of the sport. Thanks should go to the organisers and supporters of the Etchells Worlds, especially David Franks who should be running every world championship. They have produced a fantastic, well run and very enjoyable event.”
Runner up at the Etchells Worlds for the second year in a row, was Steve Benjamin (USA), representing the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, with a crew of Michael Menninger , Ian Liberty and George Peet (all USA). “The best team won, you can't say fairer than that.” said Benjamin. “I love coming to Cowes, it is one of my favourite places to sail anywhere in the world and this week, we have had a real mix of conditions, well done to John and his team, they deserve it.”
Third was Noel Drennan (AUS), representing the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, with a crew of Brian Hammersley and Andrew Mills (both GBR).
Race 9 was won by John Bertrand's team. In 2nd was Pedro Andrade (POR), with a team of Henry Bagnall and Charles Nankin, representing the Norddeutscher Regatta Verein, Germany. In third place was Ante Razmilovic (GBR) representing the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda Italy, with a team of Chris Larson and Stuart Flinn.
Final top ten:
1. Triad2, John Bertrand / Paul Blowers / Ben Lamb, AUS, 53.0
2. Scimitar, Stephen Benjamin / Michael Menninger / Ian Liberty / George Peet, USA, 69.0
3. Matatu, Noel Drennan / Brian Hammersley / Andrew Mills, SIN, 78.0
4. Swedish Blue, Ante Razmilovic / Chris Larson / Stuart Flinn, GBR, 81.0
5. Racer X 2, Mark Thornburrow / Mike Huang / Malcolm Page / Simon Cooke, HKG, 82.0
6. TQUILA, Seamus McHugh / Luis Doreste / David Vera Vera / Leo Ramio, SUI, 89.0
7. Tango, Chris Hampton / Sam Haines / Mark Andrews, AUS, 96.0
8. Aretas, Skip Dieball / Jon McClean / Jeff Eiber, USA, 99.0
9. Alfie, Lawrie Smith / Joost Houweling / Tim Tavinor, GBR, 114.0
10. Feng Shui, Andrew Wills / Anatole Masfen / Matthew Kelway, NZL, 114.0
Video Highlights - Worlds Day 6